Getting into a car accident can be both traumatic and confusing. However, when a commercial vehicle is involved, things grow even more complicated because there are usually more people involved. This is why there are a few things that you should know about such accidents to protect your rights as a driver.
Why do commercial vehicle accidents happen?
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently conducted a study in which they looked at the top reasons for car accidents involving large trucks (those weighing over 10,000 lbs.). Accident reconstructionist professionals rarely determine one factor that causes an accident, but they can identify common trends.
Some of the most common events they identified that resulted in commercial vehicle accidents include:
- Problems with the vehicle’s brakes.
- Interruptions in the flow of traffic.
- Using prescription or over-the-counter drugs.
- Traveling too fast for the road’s conditions.
- Being unfamiliar with the road.
- Issues with the road itself.
- Not getting enough rest.
What should you do after a car accident with a semi-truck or bus?
If you’re involved in an accident with a semi-truck or bus, here’s what you need to do:
- Don’t leave the scene, or else you’ll get charged with a “hit-and-run.”
- Check on everyone to see if anyone needs medical attention.
- Call the police, especially if there’s property damage, injury, or death.
- Exchange information (e.g., names, addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers, driver’s license numbers, insurance information, name and phone number of the commercial driver’s employer) with the other driver.
- Don’t discuss the accident with anyone but your lawyer.
- Take photos of the accident scene, damage caused by accident, and injuries.
- Tell your insurance company about the accident’s details.
- Get the police report, so you have a copy.
- Keep good records of any medical attention you see, any conversations you have, and how your injuries have impacted your life.
How do you determine who’s liable for the commercial vehicle car accident?
Since there are numerous parties involved with the commercial transportation industry, it’s oftentimes quite challenging to determine exactly who’s responsible for a car accident. Therefore, you’ll need to have a personal injury lawyer on your side who’s well-versed in this area of the law. They’re the ones you can turn to so that you can recover the compensation you deserve.
Your attorney will need to look at the unique circumstances surrounding the accident to determine which of the following parties may be liable:
- The company that owns or leases the vehicle
- Whoever is responsible for maintaining the vehicle
- The bus or semi-truck driver
- The driver’s employer
- The manufacturer of the vehicle or a certain part of the vehicle
How do you get help after the accident?
Commercial vehicle accidents can be quite devastating because of the vehicles’ size and weight. This frequently results in victims suffering from serious lifelong health issues. At the Blenner Law Group in Palm Harbor, FL, we’ve been fighting for those who are injured in these car accidents. If this is you, you’re urged to call us today so we can fight for your rights.
Picture Credit: VistaCreate