Help! Someone Just Crashed Their Car into Mine! What Should I Do?

2017-05-24 00:39:08 owner

Help! Someone Just Crashed Their Car into Mine! What Should I Do?Being a personal injury lawyer, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten calls from friends and relatives who were just in a car accident and they have no idea what to do.

I’m hurt! What should I do? First, let common sense rule: If you’re hurt, call 911 and don’t worry about anything else. Stay in your car and let the paramedics assess your situation. Then maybe call a friend or family member and advise of the crash and injury. Nothing else is that important.

I think I’m okay. What now? If you’ve looked at yourself and you think you’re okay – there’s no blood, no obvious signs of internal injuries or broken bones and you’re able to move about freely, call 911. This time, though, you’re calling 911 to report the collision and for the police to come and document the crash.

Should I move my car off the road?  Yes, Florida Statutes require that cars should be moved to avoid blocking traffic. F.S.§316.061(2). If you think the other driver caused the accident and he or she disagrees, keeping the cars in place will ease the police investigation and erase doubt regarding causation. Other drivers will make their way around you – we’ve all done this. If the investigating officer instructs you to move both cars, that’s okay, at least he would have already seen the collision scene and made liability assessments.

Do I always have to call the police in a crash? Well, not always, but it’s usually a good idea. Florida Statutes mandate that if you’re in a collision and there are any injuries or the property damage appears to be $500 or more, call the police. F.S.§316.065(1).  Now, how do you assess what’s $400 worth of damage and what’s $600 of damage? You can’t. Call the police.

The other driver promises to admit that he’s at fault to your insurance company and please don’t call the police!  Yeah, right. Call the police.

But this is a parking lot accident and police don’t respond to those. Nonsense. Call the police.

But we’ll end up waiting here for hours! Your car’s wrapped around my car, where you going? Call the police.

Now, if the cars just tapped each other and there’s zero property damage to both cars and both drivers feel just fine. Well, don’t call the police. Still exchange the basic information, just in case. But you can skip the 911 call.

Should we exchange information while we wait for the police? Definitely! Some drivers get nervous waiting for the police to arrive especially if they have some glitch on their driving record. The sooner you get their information, the better. Info to get: the other driver’s name, address, phone number, license tag number, driver’s license number and car insurance information.

What??!! The other driver just left! What should I do? There’s really not much you can do. It is not a good idea to start a high speed chase. You could endanger lives. Sometimes others drivers who witnessed this crash will follow the other car to at least get the car’s tag information. People do not like crooks and will often help out and identify a hit-and-run driver.

What’s my next call? Call your car insurance agent to report the crash if your car sustained damage and/or if you were hurt – however slightly – and in need of seeing a doctor. This call can sometimes take some time so be prepared to answer lots of questions.

I thought I was fine, but now my neck hurts! It’s been a few days and I haven’t seen a doctor yet. Can I still get some treatment? Ah, here’s where a good personal injury attorney can help. The answer is, yes. Just because you didn’t run to an emergency room directly after the crash doesn’t mean there’s not a latent (or hidden) injury that evolves after the adrenalin subsides.

However, this past January a new PIP (personal injury protection) law went into effect that basically says if you do not treat with any physician for fourteen days after a crash it is presumed that you have not been injured. Any treatment sought thereafter will not be paid by your car insurance and would have to be paid out of your pocket or health insurance. Beware of this law! If in doubt, get some form of treatment within two weeks to preserve your right for further treatment.

Most personal injury attorneys would agree that if you’ve been involved in a car crash and you’ve sustained personal injuries to some degree and you think you might need to make a claim, it is advisable to contact your personal injury attorney at this point. If you’re not feeling well, your lawyer is better able to navigate the insurances (yours and the at-fault party’s), the lost wage claim, getting your car fixed or totaled, scheduling doctor appointments, filling out PIP applications, etc.

We are genuinely here to serve you.

Image credit: rhonda_jenkins

Posted in: Accidentcar crashInjuryQ&A Read more... 0 comments

Should I Settle My Injury Case, or Should I File Suit?

2017-04-19 13:53:04 owner

Should I Settle My Injury Case, or Should I File Suit?It is a misconception that every personal injury case ends up in litigation and then goes to trial. In fact, a majority of injury claims are settled without the need for litigation and the vast majority are settled before getting to a jury trial.

In my opinion, most insurance companies want to settle car collision injury cases when there is clear liability and the injuries are real and demonstrable through diagnostic tests. However, we always seem to differ with valuation of a claim. That is, how do you put a dollar sign on an injured person’s case?

The variations of case valuation are too complicated to go into in this blog post, but when I value a case between $50,000 and $65,000 and make an initial demand of $65,000, I know we’re in trouble when the insurance company adjuster offers $5,000 as an initial settlement bid. Bridging the gap between $5,000 and $50,000 is almost impossible.  You may as well authorize your attorney to file suit.

An insurance adjuster interested in settling a case worth between $50,000 and $65,000 would have started off with an initial offer of maybe $25,000 or $30,000. That offer warrants further discussion and negotiation and if I started out with a demand of $65,000, we can usually get to $50,000, which is acceptable to my client in this hypothetical case.

You see, a smart insurance company offers just enough money to make my client really think twice about walking away. “If they’re $5,000 under where I wanted to be, does it make sense for me to file a lawsuit when I’m at $50,000 and they’re at $45,000?” Usually not.

We personal injury lawyers are always amazed when we have a strong case with clear liability and injuries and the adjuster calls and offers 5% of what we all know the case to be worth. Every attorney has a “war story” when, for whatever reason, a case has a value of $100,000 and an adjuster offers $2,250.

That, my friends, is a no-brainer. File suit. That offer is an invitation to litigate by the insurance company. By entering into litigation, it usually gets this case out of the hands of a junior adjuster and into the hands of a more seasoned adjuster who is a litigation specialist as well as a defense attorney who are far more familiar with what goes into a case valuation.

In my opinion, cases are litigated when they have to be. When a client expresses a desire to put “a little more money in my pocket”, that’s a case worth working out and not litigating. When the last settlement offer doesn’t even pay the medical bills and leaves the client with nothing, those are the cases that need to be litigated and maybe even tried.

While most personal injury attorneys aren’t afraid of litigating their own files, a good personal injury attorney will look to maximize a client’s recovery whether after extensive pre-suit negotiations or in the context of litigation.

Image credit: 123rf.com

Posted in: attorneyInjury LawyerQ&A Read more... 0 comments

Do I Need a Lawyer In Traffic Court In Florida?

2016-07-18 19:38:20 owner

Do I Need a Lawyer In Traffic Court In Florida?

Most people in Florida who are ticketed in connection with their vehicle – either a moving violation like speeding, or a non-moving violation like a parking ticket – really do not need a lawyer unless they plan on contesting the infraction in court. And even then, some people do fine in court representing themselves.

First, unless you’re an habitual traffic offender, there just isn’t that much at stake: a few points on your driver’s license and a modest fine. And if you opt to take the defensive driver’s course, you will even save the points on your license.

Does it pay to take the course? As an aside, most insurance companies will increase your premiums not based upon your driver’s license “points” but based on infractions. The point system is for the State to keep track of how many tickets you’ve had to see if your license should be suspended. But insurance companies don’t care about points – they care about instances. So, you pay off one infraction and then get another ticket soon thereafter. If you take the course to keep points off, you may only have 3 points against you from the first ticket, but your insurance company will see two infractions on your license and probably increase your premium. Conversely, if you haven’t been ticketed in a long time and then get pulled over for something, chances are your insurance company won’t increase your premium for this one incident (unless it’s a serious charge) regardless of whether or not you take the course.

Whether to contest a ticket is most always a business decision. If you’re looking at a small fine and a pretty solid case of running a red light, do you really want to take a morning off from work to go to court and contest what is a pretty clear case of running a red light? And it may be on video as evidence against you. Even if you do and even if you lose, in most cases, the only additional penalty that you may face in addition to points and a fine would be court costs of another modest amount.

If you didn’t commit the offense and really want to contest this as a basic injustice, I understand. At this point, I always think it’s better to have an attorney than not, but if you don’t the judge will let the State present its case against you and then you have a chance to defend yourself. You can cross-examine the officer who ticketed you. The State has the burden of proving its case “beyond a reasonable doubt” so all you need do, is cast just a little bit of shade on the State’s case and the judge may give you the benefit of the doubt. But beware of things like, eyewitnesses and video showing the infraction – these can go a long way to show guilt of the infraction.

By the way, if you get to traffic court and the ticketing police officer doesn’t show up, you can ask the judge to dismiss the infraction since the State cannot prove its case against you without the ticketing office being present. This might just work, or, sometime the judge might continue your hearing until the officer can be there in court. This sometimes depends on the severity of the charge.

Now the folks who need a lawyer desperately in traffic court are the fine folks who have, from time to time, been a menace on the road. They may have multiple points and are looking at having their license suspended if this most recent infraction sticks. It may be a very serious one-time charge of DUI, reckless driving or even vehicular manslaughter. Or the unfortunate person who drives for a living and was told if they get even one at-fault infraction, they might be terminated. Whenever the term “jail” or “prison” is bandied about, yes, you need an attorney and a good one at that.

Oh, and one last thing: For those who are fighting an already suspended license, do not drive yourself to Court. Remember, you have a suspended license and by showing up to Court driving a car you’ve broken the law. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve seen a judge deny reinstating a defendant’s driver’s license and the bailiff then follows the defendant out to the parking lot, where he or she gets into the car to drive away. You will spend a few days in jail.

Image credit: innovatedcaptures / 123RF Stock Photo

Posted in: attorneylawyerQ&A Read more... 0 comments

A Primer on Defamation: I’ve Been Defamed, What Are My Rights?

2016-07-11 19:22:17 owner

A Primer on Defamation: I’ve Been Defamed, What Are My Rights?

Every so often I get a call from a potential client who wants to litigate against someone for “defaming” them. The caller is generally spitting mad and wants blood. This is usually in the context where the client was the subject of some rant by some aggrieved party where he or she gets cursed at in front of a bunch of others.
Think of the homeowner’s association meeting or the school board meeting where somebody stands up and starts swearing up and down that you’re a no good so-and-so or that you’re a crook and probably stole a lot of money from the group.

Defamation comes mainly in two forms: slander (oral defamation) or libel (written defamation).

In order to maintain a viable claim for defamation an aggrieved party needs three things: 1. An affirmative misrepresentation of facts; 2. Publication of the statement to third parties; and, 3. Economic damages.
Now, as far as the affirmative representation of facts, let’s consider: It is not defamation to name-call – if I call someone a jerk, an idiot, a dope, a number of curse words, etc., that’s my opinion and it’s not actionable. There is where Donald Trump’s rhetoric comes in – almost all of his juvenile insults are just that, silly insults and are not actionable.

What is true defamation is when the name calling has some real legal meaning behind it, such as, You’re an: embezzler, or thief, or felon, or rapist, or perjurer, or child molester, etc. These terms are either provable as true or they’re a lie. Remember, truth is a 100% defense to defamation. So, if your town mayor is found to be a convicted embezzler, it’s okay to confide in others to further check this out.

The defamatory statements must have been “published” to third parties – this does not mean these words need to be in writing. It does mean that these false statements must have been spread around to others, orally or in writing. If I whisper in someone’s ear and call them an arsonist – it’s just between the two of us. No harm, no foul. If I call someone running for the Fire Department Board an arsonist at a public meeting, that’s a problem. Again, assuming it’s not true.

Finally is the difficult issue of proving economic damages. How does one valuate his or her personal reputation? How do you put a number on it? This question is no easier for a judge or jury. There have been cases where the Plaintiff won a defamation suit and the financial judgment awarded was $1, mainly for failure to prove an economic loss. After paying attorney fees, these Plaintiffs realize they won the battle of proving defamation but lost the economic war.

Now there is one difference here in Florida – If the defamatory statement goes to one’s business reputation, damages can be imputed – simplifying the burden of proof. So if the defamed party loses his or her job due to the slanderous statement, that’s an easy measure of damages – lost wages. If a restaurant owner sees his business drop off by 50% because someone maligned the restaurant owner as one who frequently serves up food with e-coli contamination, that’s a measure of real provable damages by loss of profits.

Mostly I discourage clients from suing defamatory speakers. It is generally cost prohibitive and after I send the speaker a “cease and desist” letter, there is almost an immediate abatement of the obnoxious behavior. And generally the one who loses his or her cool and starts maligning others in public are considered to be the big jerks in the room anyway.

I had my own personal experience a few years ago when a certain addle-brained lawyer started maligning me to every lawyer in town stating that I had “ripped him off”.   Now that wasn’t true and I could have pursued it further, but given this speaker’s existing reputation, his difficulty with the truth and the fact that he was a known obnoxious jerk, a gigantic blow hard and a small minded idiot, I didn’t worry about it. I knew everyone would consider the source. And, by the way, none of those terms in my previous sentence are actionable.
Image credit yuriyzhuravov

Posted in: Q&A Read more... 0 comments

Have My Pre-Existing Injuries Reduced the Value of My Recent Car Crash Injuries to Nothing?

2014-11-12 00:36:55 owner

Have My Pre-Existing Injuries Reduced the Value of My Recent Car Crash Injuries to NothingMost people reach a certain age and it’s unlikely that some part of their body hasn’t sustained some degree of prior trauma or degeneration. Remember that high school football injury to your knee 30 years ago? Yeah, it likely bothers you today – especially when the weather changes.

In fact, lots of people have either degeneration to a joint, like a knee or shoulder, or an area of their spine without even knowing it. It may be “asymptomatic”, or without symptoms. It’s just as a result of walking around for three or four decades and is normal wear and tear on the body.

So, when someone is in a car wreck and suddenly they hurt all over, often diagnostic tests reveal not only an injury, but also an underlying condition of degeneration or even arthritic changes. “But I felt fine!” True, but as your doctor and attorney know, some of the damage was already done. That’s why you so feel so crummy  – you hurt from the collision but also your body is reacting to what had been simmering for years.

Does that mean I don’t have a case for the injuries I got in this bad crash? No, of course not. In order to maintain a claim for injuries against someone for a car crash case, you must demonstrate that you have a “permanent injury” directly related to the crash. Well, actually, your physician must demonstrate that because no insurance company is going to take your word for it.

Now, in Florida, a lawyer can maintain a claim for a permanent injury which is defined as: (1) death (duh!); (2) any physical scarring; and, (3) virtually anything else that a physician discovers. Most clients fall into the third category of “everything else”.

An exacerbation, or worsening, of a prior injury isn’t technically a permanent injury; it’s basically stirring up what was already there. However, a good physician will be able to tell through x-rays, CAT scans or MRIs as well as a physical examination if there is any worsening of a prior medical condition.  After all, once a body part has sustained an injury, it’s only logical that a compromised body part is highly susceptible to being worsened by another trauma.

So, just because the aging process tends to wear us down, injuries from a recent trauma are generally separate and apart from the degeneration that may have taken place. Do not let that deter you from seeking justice for your situation. The laws of entropy may be a nag, but it doesn’t take us out of the claim.

Image credit: stylephotographs / 123RF Stock Photo

Posted in: car crashCar Insurancepersonal injuryQ&A Read more... 0 comments